Hope Nikolina Rebekah Mikaelson is a main character on Legacies, a former major recurring character on The Originals before being promoted to a main character in the fifth season, and a former major recurring character on The Vampire Diaries. Hope is the tribrid daughter of Niklaus Mikaelson and Viviana Labonair. She is the granddaughter of Ansel Alden, Esther Mikaelson, Remus Labonair, and Arielle Hastings, as well as the step-granddaughter of Mikael and Accalia Lowell. She is also a distant relative of Lana, Eve, and Cary. She is the younger half sister of Edmond; the twin sister of Octavia Mikaelson, the older sister of James and Astrid Mikaelson, and the adoptive sister of Marcel Gerard via her father. Due to his marriage to Viviana, Alexander Leroux was her step-father for almost a year, until he was killed by Tristan de Martel.
She was named Hope by her father, who took inspiration from his half-brother Elijah's words about his newborn child being their family's hope. Her first middle name is Nikolina — the Bulgarian feminine form of "Nicholas" which Niklaus is the Swiss German form of — which was picked out by her mother in honor of her father. Her second middle name — Rebekah — was picked out by her father in honor of her aunt Rebekah who is also her mothers best friend. She takes the surname Mikaelson, from her father's side of the family.
Hope was conceived in The Vampire Diaries season four episode She's Come Undone, and it was revealed that Viviana was pregnant in the premier episode The Originals. She was then born in The Originals season one episode From a Cradle to a Grave. As a result of her nearly-unique heritage, she is the world's first vampire-werewolf-witch hybrid. She inherited the werewolf and witch gene from both of her parents, while her vampire legacy came from her father who is the Original vampire-werewolf hybrid and the son of the Original Witch. Through her mother's Redfern and Labonair lineage, Hope is witch and werewolf royalty.
In From a Cradle to a Grave, Hope and Octavia were sent away to be raised by Rebekah and Edward, in order to protect her from her father's enemies: the Guerrera Wolves, Esther, and Dahlia; as well as her mother's enemies: the New Orleans witches. Her death was faked to protect her. However, in season two's The Brothers That Care Forgot, Esther had found Rebekah and Edward whilst they are with Hope and Octavia at the park, this is signified by the presence of starlings. At the end of the second season, Hope, Octavia, and James are living with Viviana and Alexander (stepfather by marriage as well as a high-ranking member of the New Orleans Witches, who are now allies), and by the end of the third season; she is living with Viviana and her siblings on the road and eventually in Mystic Falls, Virginia. By the fourth season; she lives with Viviana, her siblings, and the Mikaelson Family at the Abattoir.
After having The Hollow's spirit separated into four members of her family; she, her siblings, and Viviana leave for Mystic Falls. She becomes a student at the boarding school and as time goes by, she becomes determined to see her father again, despite the consequences that could ensue.
Hope is a member of the Mikaelson Family, the Labonair Family, the Leroux Family, and the Alden Family. Hope is by birthright a member of the Crescent Wolf Pack, the North East Atlantic Pack, as well as the ruling witch coven of all witch coven, the Eternity Coven, in which Hope descends from one of the two main branches of witches in the Redfern Family, which descended from Hecate, The Witch-Queen's second direct revered and royal bloodline. She is also a member of the Gyldenløve Family, a bloodline of powerful witches, and is one of the only four children to be fathered by the Original Hybrid.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries
In The Originals, the witch Sophie Deveraux revealed that Viviana was, in fact, pregnant with Klaus' twins. She revealed that the babies are one of Nature's "loopholes". She later revealed that it was because of Klaus' werewolf side that Hope and Octavia was conceived. Sophie then demands that Klaus help her or she will kill the babies and Viviana.
Klaus initially had no interest with having anything to do with the child, even telling to the witches that they made a mistake if they thought they could get to him by using Viviana and their children as leverage. But after words of consideration from Elijah Mikaelson, and an exchange from Camille O'Connell, he later changed his mind. When Elijah asked him about Viviana and their unborn child, Klaus replied to him that "every king needs heirs."
Throughout The Originals
In Always and Forever, Elijah tells Sophie that he believes these children will be a way for Klaus to finally be happy. Sophie is glad he feels that way, as she blackmails him. If he gets Klaus to co-operate with their demands, since Marcel Gerard already drove the werewolves from the French Quarter, nobody will have to know of the existence of two hybrid babies. In a later phone conversation with Rebekah Mikaelson, Elijah swears he will not let anything happen to the babies.
- Rebekah: She looks like her mother. Maybe there's a God after all.
- Klaus: She has a hint of the Devil in her eyes — that's all me."
- — Klaus and Rebekah about Hope in From a Cradle to a Grave
Powers and Abilities
- "I woke up in the church and all I felt was this hunger, and then I knew what I needed - I needed them. I can feel them. They're here. I can feel my babies."
- — Viviana about Hope and Octavia in From a Cradle to a Grave
- Main article: Viviana and Hope
- "I was nine. And I saw this scary monster who looked like my dad. Who taught me how to mix paint. Who called me princess. I didn't know which version of you was real. And I waited for you. To explain it. Or, apologize. Or tell me that you loved me. I waited for you for years! But you didn't come."
- — Hope to Klaus in One Wrong Turn On Bourbon
- Main article: Klaus and Hope
Klaus is Hope's father, and even though at first he was hesitant about the twins in Always and Forever, he soon accepted her and was determined to not be like his step-father to his child. He even told Viviana that the cycle of the pain will end with their babies. After that, he did everything he could to make sure she was kept safe and was shown to be happy when he learned the baby would be a girl. He wants to protect her at all costs and hopes to be in her life someday when it is safe for her. He is not giving up on being in his daughter's life quite yet. He is also dedicated to being a better father to her than his step-father was to him. His love for his daughter brings out the best in Klaus, best seen in his reconciliation with both Rebekah and Marcel. With the child being born, Klaus is becoming the man he used to be. After some time apart from his daughter, she returned home. However, he remains paranoid as he worries about her safety.
Hope and Klaus' bond remain strong during the rest of the series until they were separated due to Klaus sacrificing himself to save his family. But Hope's memory of him was kept alive because of her mother telling Hope and her siblings about her father such as his loyalty to his family, his love for them and his interests that she now shares with him. They were reunited after five years and, despite some initial nervousness on both sides, they shared a lovely day, it showing just how alike they are. Klaus shared stories from his long life, Hope showed him her magic when she healed a butterfly and they painted together.
Apart from some of the bad things he's done Hope knows what Klaus is and isn't afraid of him. She knows how strong he is and, because of that, she believes he can keep bad things away. Once he promised that nothing was going to harm her Hope hugged him. Despite their time apart Hope calls Klaus "Dad", showing that their bond is still strong.
Because of her mother telling her about her father Hope deems Klaus her "fairytale prince".
- "I know I have to give them back to Viviana when the time is right."
- — Rebekah to Elijah about Hope and Octavia
- Main article: Rebekah and Hope
Rebekah left town before Hope and Octavia's birth but soon returned when Klaus asked her to protect his daughters. Klaus told Rebekah that despite their differences, there was nobody else he would trust more with the life of his daughters. Rebekah left New Orleans with Hope and became her guardian alongside Viviana's brother Edward; she often told Hope and Octavia stories of their birth and how their parents sent them away to be safe. Rebekah, Hope, and Octavia returned to New Orleans after Esther found them.
- Main article: Edward and Hope
- Main article: Hope and Josie
- Main article: Hope and Landon
- Hope is a feminine first name of English origin referring to a positive expectation or to the theological virtue of hope.
- Nikolina is a feminine Bulgarian form of "Nicholas" which is English form of the Swiss German name "Niklaus"
- Rebekah is a feminine name of Hebrew origin (רבקה). The name means "to tie". *It's a biblical name, of the wife of Isaac and mother of Esau and Jacob. Alternate version of it is Rebecca.
- Mikaelson is of of Scandinavian origin and means "Son of Mikael." If Hope was truly to follow Norse traditions, then her surname should technically be Niklausdottir (daughter of Niklaus) opposed to Mikaelson (son of Mikael).
- Sophie described Hope and Octavia as "one of Nature's loopholes" in The Originals.
- Hope confirms this theory in "There's Always a Loophole," as she discovers that she is Nature's Loophole to be used against Malivore.
- Due to this, she can remember those that she previously knew and have been consumed by Malivore as well as heal others with her blood that have been shot with weaponized Malivore bullets. As can any other tribrids.
- Hope confirms this theory in "There's Always a Loophole," as she discovers that she is Nature's Loophole to be used against Malivore.
- Elijah believes Hope and Octavia are the key in reuniting his family and he has sworn to protect them no matter what.
- Hope and Octavia was able to heal Viviana from her injuries sustained in Girl in New Orleans.
- Sabine also had a vision that Hope and Octavia will be the death of all witches. This could possibly be false as it was used to precipitate the death of the last living elder Agnes.
- During Viviana's pregnancy, Hope had various nicknames.
- Viviana often referred to her baby as "My Little Girl" and "Baby Girl"
- Hayley referred to her as "Magical Miracle Baby"
- In Fruit of the Poisoned Tree, her aunt nicknames her "The Demon Spawn" and called her "My Little Niece". And she called her "Mikaelson Miraculous Baby" in Sinners and Saints. After Hope and Octavia's birth, Rebekah calls her "Princess" in a bedtime story.
- Sophie and Tyler both referred to her (alongside Octavia) as "The Hybrid Babies" and Celeste called her "The Wolf".
- Klaus called her "Littlest Wolf" and "Littlest Witch" in From a Cradle to a Grave, as a reference to the nicknames that he gave to Viviana; "Little Wolf" and "Little Witch"
- These later change to "Littler Wolf" and "Littler Witch" after the birth of Astrid Mikaelson; who then gets called "Littlest Wolf" and "Littlest Witch".
- In Bloodletting, it was shown that Hope and Octavia's hybrid blood can turn other werewolves into hybrids, causing them to be sired to Viviana. However, once Hope and Octavia are born, it is likely that the sire bond will shift to them.
- Klaus mentioned in Reigning Pain in New Orleans, that Hope and Octavia are the only thing that matters to him.
- According to Eve, many werewolves have heard about Klaus and Viviana's unborn twins, Hope and Octavia, and have come to New Orleans to see this miracle pregnancy for themselves.
- As mentioned in Après Moi, Le Déluge, the descendants of Esther would be allotted her power due to the consecration of her remains. Thus it is possible that Hope and Octavia will be able to channel the power of Esther.
- As one of the living descendants of Esther, Hope and Octavia are capable of owning property, something which vampires (including even Original vampires) themselves can't do. This was confirmed in Après Moi, Le Déluge, where this fact was used to consecrate Esther's remains at the plantation (the deed to which is held by Viviana), thus enabling the Harvest Ritual to be completed by Sophie (who channeled Esther's power to become a witch elder).
- Hope and Octavia have a connection to four supernatural groups: French Quarter Coven, Crescent Wolf Pack, North East Atlantic Pack and Original Vampires.
- The reason Klaus was able to procreate sexually where other undead beings cannot is that he is not a vampire, but a hybrid. Tyler stated that the ability to pass the werewolf gene trumped Klaus' vampire side.
- In Moon Over Bourbon Street, Elijah expresses his wish that his nieces would inherit their mother's "everything".
- In The Big Uneasy, it is revealed that the ancestors want Hope and Octavia to die. In From a Cradle to a Grave, Genevieve revealed that Hope and Octavia's deaths were ordered by Esther. However in Wheel Inside the Wheel, Esther explains her will to Finn as she fears Dahlia, her sister.
- In The Big Uneasy, Klaus states that his pack, and thus Hope and Octavia's pack, is from the North East Atlantic.
- In A Closer Walk With Thee, Viviana decided to move back in with Klaus and Elijah for the safety of her daughter.
- In A Closer Walk With Thee, Klaus had a dream of his daughters.
- Klaus built a nursery for his daughters in Viviana's room in the Abattoir and he showed it to Viviana in A Closer Walk With Thee. In Rebirth, still mourning his daughter Viviana forbids to Elijah to disassemble Hope and Octavia's cradles before torn apart the nursery herself, but in Wheel Inside the Wheel, it seems that they built the nursery again.
- The nursery included a teddy bear, a stuffed elephant, two stuffed wolves, and a painting of New Orleans by full moon
- In A Closer Walk With Thee, Klaus says to Viviana that both her and their daughters are fighters.
- It the second reference to the fact that Hope and Octavia are fighters, the first was by Viviana in Girl in New Orleans.
- In From a Cradle to a Grave, there's a flashback in which Viviana lets Klaus feel one of the baby kick.
- Due to the unique nature of their conception, Hope and Octavia are Nexus Vorti's, a miracle event that the witches can draw upon for great power.
- In From a Cradle to a Grave, in a brief flashback Viviana was seen writing a letter to her daughters. She tried out some names like Zoë, Caitlin, and Angela as well as Chloë, Jessica, and Candice.
- Klaus names her Hope because she's the hope of his new family. As such, her name could not be more appropriate, since her arrival brought upon two reconciliations; the first being between Klaus and Marcel, and the second between Klaus and Rebekah.
- In From a Cradle to a Grave, Viviana and Klaus agree to send Hope and Octavia away to keep them protected and Klaus gives Hope and Octavia to Rebekah and Edward.
- As she shares the same blood as her father Klaus, her blood could presumably cure a werewolf bite.
- This is proved to be true in The Boy Who Still Has a Lot of Good to Do, when she gave her blood to MG to cure him from a werewolf bite.
- Like her mother she was born in New Orleans, but she was conceived in her father's birthplace, Mystic Falls.
- She shares some traits with her aunt, Freya:
- Both of their births were against nature (Esther was infertile and being a vampire Klaus normally cannot have children).
- Hope adn Octavia were given to their aunt Rebekah (and uncle Edward) by their parents to keep them safe, and Freya was taken away by her aunt Dahlia.
- Both were separated from their parents under the pretense of death, while only a select few knew what really happened to them; only Esther, Finn, and Dahlia knew that Freya didn't die of the plague, and only Viviana, Klaus, Elijah, Ansel, Edward, and Rebekah knew that Hope and Octavia didn't die shortly after her birth.
- Freya stated that the use of magic acts as a beacon for Dahlia, even if the witch is only just showing signs of witchcraft. As Hope used magic to stop and restart Camille's car, it is possible that Dahlia already knows about Hope's existence.
- As of I Love You, Goodbye, the vampire and werewolf community are aware of her existence.
- Hope seems to be fond of her step-father Alexander Leroux as he can calm her when she's upset.
- Rebekah was the first to refer to Hope and Octavia as "tribrids" instead of "hybrids".
- Between Ashes to Ashes and You Hung the Moon, she grew up without her mother around.
- Hope shares a few similarities with Nadia Petrova:
- Both of their mothers gave birth to them in difficult situations (Nadia was born in the 1400s and out of wedlock, while Hope was born in a war-torn New Orleans).
- Both were born on-screen (though Hope was in present day and Nadia was in a flashback).
- They were both unwanted at first, Hope by her father and Nadia by her grandfather and then by her mother 500 years later.
- They were both born from a witch heritage. (From their mothers, Viviana and Katherine, as well as their fathers; Klaus for Hope, as his mother was a witch, and Markos, a Traveler, for Nadia).
- They were taken from their mothers shortly after birth, Hope by the witches and Nadia by her grandfather. They were later reunited with them after a considerable amount of time apart (6 months and 500 years, respectively).
- As of You Hung the Moon, Hope and Octavia have already started walking.
- Viviana stated in Dead Angels that the Wooden Knight was Hope's favorite toy.
- In No More Heartbreaks, Camille said she wants Hope and Octavia to inherit her Dark Objects.
- It has been confirmed, as of season five of The Originals, that being a Triggered werewolf has not deactivated her witch powers and abilities.
- Daddy's Girl - Hope seems to light up whenever her father is around. It's clear how much Hope adores her father and it's clear how much Klaus loves her. Klaus was besotted with her even before she was born
- Hybrid Power - Hope has demonstrated magic abilities from her witch side and healing abilities from her vampire side though latter power is slower than a full vampire's healing factor.
- Protective Mom - Hope has a mother that adores her and it's clear that Hope feels the same. Whenever Hope sees her mother, she's always laughing.
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition - Almost as soon as she's born, her mother Viviana is killed by Monique. Subverted in that Viviana woke up in transition, due to dying while Hope's blood was still inside her.
- Sins of Our Fathers - As Klaus notes, Hope has 'inherited' all of his enemies by virtue of being his daughter.
- ↑ In Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Freya states that Hope is now 15 years old. As of This is the Part Where You Run, there's been a two-year time jump to 2030, which would make Hope 17 years old. But she turns 18 as the season goes on.
- ↑ The Kindness of Stranger
- ↑ http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/hope